• Reaching Families Project

Online Support for People Who Care About Someone with a Mental Illness

Dealing with my son and PTSD

You will need to register and log in to see posts here.

Moderator: AndrewBCSS

Forum rules
By participating / reading the items in this forum, you agree to keep what is written here private, and to treat other group members with respect. Unlike the 'visible' forums, what you post in this private forum is only visible to other group members when they are logged in, and is not visible to search engines on the internet. For more resources including in person support groups, newsletters and referral information, please scroll to page bottom or click here
Laurie
Regular Poster
Relationship: Parent
Region: Vancouver Island, BC
City or Region: Victoria

Dealing with my son and PTSD

Unread postby Laurie » 27 Nov 2017

My son is 22 years old and is being treated for PTSD. I am struggling to find ways to help him. He was self harming and suicidal about a year and a half ago. Since then he has undergone various therapies: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy; Hypnotherapy; Medicinal Marijuana. He sees a Psychiatrist and is on several medications. He seems to be doing better but is going from one obsession to the other. Since stopping the marijuana use,(it was making him cathartic) he has started vaping but is spending an extraordinary amount of money on it. He has been gambling and was in debt over $2500. He has a girlfriend, and that too has become an obsession. He has become a father figure and feels compelled to take care of her. She lives an unhealthy lifestyle. Smokes marijuana daily, and takes medication for depression and anxiety. They are very isolated and spend most of their time just the two of them.
He is going away to University in the states and trying to get his girlfriend to go there too. He has been a smart kid 4.0 in Physics and Education. Now he is a B average. (Not complaining but not normal for him). He keeps going from one harmful behavior to another. With the gambling, it has put a huge financial strain on me. I don't know what to do. I am sad and I have an unsettling feeling that things aren't right. Mother's Intuition? I am terrified that he will continue these behaviors, feel guilty about it and again become suicidal. What can I do to help him?

Laurie
Regular Poster

Re: Dealing with my son and PTSD

Unread postby Laurie » 04 Dec 2017

This is my second post in just over a week. My fears have come true. My son has once again engaged in self harm. I was hundreds of miles away when he was texting saying how horrible he felt. Failed a University class quiz and was a failure. He has cut his arms and said he wanted to kill himself. I have come to be with him but I don't know how to help. I am so afraid that next time, he won't stop.

Jean
Regular Poster
Relationship: Friend
Region: Lower Mainland BC

Unread postby Jean » 05 Dec 2017

Hi Laurie,

This sounds very scary and I am sorry that this is happening. I have passed your post along to the BCSS Branch in Victoria and hope that they will have some solutions to help you through this situation. They have suggested that you reach out to them directly at (250) 384-4225 or email familycounsellor.bcss@shaw.ca.

If you need to get a hold of someone immediately, you can also call the crisis line at 1-800-784-2433.

Good luck,
Jean.

Laurie
Regular Poster

Unread postby Laurie » 17 Dec 2017

Thank you Jean. I have him at home with me now. He is seeing his Psychiatrist this week. (Had a previous appointment but couldn't get him in before then) and he will see a therapist in the new year. I definitely need some help with this. Thank you again for your reply. I will contact BCSS. Laurie

Return to “Family and Friends of a Person with a Mental Illness (private)”