• Reaching Families Project

Online Support for People Who Care About Someone with a Mental Illness

My Younger Brother

You will need to register and log in to see posts here.

Moderator: AndrewBCSS

Forum rules
By participating / reading the items in this forum, you agree to keep what is written here private, and to treat other group members with respect. Unlike the 'visible' forums, what you post in this private forum is only visible to other group members when they are logged in, and is not visible to search engines on the internet. For more resources including in person support groups, newsletters and referral information, please scroll to page bottom or click here
anichol
Poster
Relationship: Sibling (brother, sister)
Region: Vancouver Island, BC
City or Region: Comox Valley

My Younger Brother

Unread postby anichol » 14 Nov 2017

I will start out with that my brother for the past few years has had a real struggle to operate normally, and it is getting worse. I am 27 now and he has turned 21.
Two years ago my mother had noticed the signs of schizophrenia in my brother and had gotten him to see a psychiatrist. Me being uninformed and uneducated, not being around my brother for the development of this had a different perspective. I tried to hang out with him more to see what the circumstances yielded; I wasn't very happy my brother was taking head medications, as I had pre-conceived notions of doctors and pharmaceuticals not being the healthiest thing for him. So naturally I expressed this to my brother and he denied the medication, and didn't want to see the psychiatrist any longer. Since this time I have learned my brother confessed to the dr. that he had an external dialogue. Over the next few months I had moved home and started a business, my brother was having trouble finding work so I had him along side of me. I found my brother to be overly stimulated by many things, as he thought customers were talking behind his back, very self conscious of his work, to the point of just not wanting anything in return because he thought he hadn't done a good enough job. Now knowing some of the signs at this point, I recalled my brother over-dressing for the weather, wearing many layers when it was above 18 degrees Celsius outside. His delusions and descriptions of things have been getting weirder and weirder. More signs include false beliefs about my father, me, my sister, and my mother all being terrible people, taking advantage of systems like government. He has two dogs under his care that he insisted he take care of, he is very sensitive about anyone interacting with them whenever coming over, and is a huge outlet of stress and anxiety that has built up. The two dogs are also another source of delusion as he gives them trains of thought like a human. On top of all of this, my brothers lack of ability to interact successfully with other people doesn't help him hold a job which in turn gives rise to his stress level. My brother at this point has forsaken his relationship with my father and wants nothing to do with him.

I have now sought out more knowledge on schizophrenia due to a terrifying episode happening just yesterday, I am coming to this page for help.
The evening before yesterday; My brother was driving to my mothers to pick up his girlfriend when his vehicle was t-boned on the highway from an oncoming car; writing the only vehicle him and his girlfriend have right off. Yesterday my sister went to pick him up to take him to a lawyers office, when she did, she interacted with the dogs which made my brother just go berserk. The lawyers office wasn't open, which was more stressful. The evening comes and my mother stops by to help my brother and his girlfriend rent a car. She interacted with the dogs, and he just came unglued. My mother had fear he was going to hit her, my brother started pacing manicly, shouting obcentites about how much he hates everyone in his life. My mom, asked if she could instead take his girlfriend to go rent the car, which in turn made him think she only loved her. Back and forth is mind went about how everyone is against him. My brother apparently then grabbed a knife and cut his hand, showing my mom the blood and telling her "see what you made me do, just go away before I hurt myself any more." (In the past my brother has already near-broken his own nose giving himself a black eye due to being so stressed about things.) He had mentioned he also thinks about suicide every day. There is so many more things to be said about my brothers condition. When this all first started surfacing, my father (my parents are divorced by the way) sat my brother down infront of him and said "your mom thinks your some sort of skitzo, whats wrong with you?" or something along those lines for my brother to feel negative about this situation.

I dont know what to do at this point, his girlfriend is updating my mom on his situation, heres hoping he feels better tomorrow, and maybe realizes he needs some help. I have recommended videos online I have found about schizophrenia to all my family, because before yesterday I was in denial myself he had it and knew little about the mental illness. I live in victoria and visit on weekends. I dont know if anyone in the family will be able to reach out to him as he has expressed some hatred towards us all. At what point does help need to be forced on someone?? All of this is new to me, none of us have ever dealt with a situation like this or know of anyone with this illness.

Thankyou for your time.

Jean
Regular Poster
Relationship: Friend
Region: Lower Mainland BC

Re: My Younger Brother

Unread postby Jean » 14 Nov 2017

Hi Anicol,

Thank you so very much for reaching out for support. This situation sounds incredibly worrying now that his condition has started to get worse. Unfortunately, medication is key in helping manage severe and persistent mental illnesses like your brothers. With his tendencies to suicidal ideation, it may mean that he will need to be hospitalized until his condition improves.

I will pass along your post to our local branches in Victoria and Campbell River-North Island. I strongly urge you to give them a call as well.

Our Branches will be able to provide you with more detailed advice relating to your situation. They will also have a better grasp of what resources will be available to you and your family, including support groups and information for you all the better manage and respond to how schizophrenia is affecting your lives.

You can reach the Victoria Branch at 250-384-4225 or familycounsellor.bcss@shaw.ca.
You can reach the Campbell River and North Island Branch at 250-914-3059 or crss@shaw.ca.

If you need anything else, please feel free to give us a call at 604-270-7841. If you'd like someone to reach out to you directly, email your contact information to communications@bcss.org

Good luck,
Jean.

Jean
Regular Poster
Relationship: Friend
Region: Lower Mainland BC

Unread postby Jean » 14 Nov 2017

Hi Anicol,

You can also contact the Vancouver Island Crisis Line at 1-888-494-3888, who can help if someone is in danger of hurting themselves and also provide community resource information.

Thank you,
Jean.

anichol
Poster
Relationship: Sibling (brother, sister)
Region: Vancouver Island, BC
City or Region: Comox Valley

Unread postby anichol » 14 Nov 2017

Hey Jean;

I have passed on your message to my mother who, earlier, was in contact with my brother's psychiatrist today. My Mom also wanted to reiterate that my brother has been diagnosed just over a year ago, she also said no positive symptoms or first break as of yet. The term his psychiatrist used was prodromal schizophrentic illness.

My mother and I believe that the current psychiatrist and my brother are not a good pairing. My brother will probably need someone else to turn to for psychiatric help and perscriptions. Tomorrow, her and i are calling the campbell river office you referred too, to follow up on pursuing a plan for helping him.

Thankyou for all of your help.

Return to “Family and Friends of a Person with a Mental Illness (private)”