• Reaching Families Project

Online Support for People Who Care About Someone with a Mental Illness

steroid induced psychosis for sibling of patient w/ schizophrenia

You will need to register and log in to see posts here.

Moderator: AndrewBCSS

Forum rules
By participating / reading the items in this forum, you agree to keep what is written here private, and to treat other group members with respect. Unlike the 'visible' forums, what you post in this private forum is only visible to other group members when they are logged in, and is not visible to search engines on the internet. For more resources including in person support groups, newsletters and referral information, please scroll to page bottom or click here
Mom
Regular Poster
Relationship: Parent
Region: Lower Mainland BC
City or Region: Fraser Valley

steroid induced psychosis for sibling of patient w/ schizophrenia

Unread postby Mom » 15 Oct 2017

Wondering if anyone out there has come across this situation - we have one child who is already diagnosed with schizophrenia. Younger sibling is now in psychosis after taking heavy PRESCRIBED doses of steroids.

Would like to hear what treatment plan worked and if there was a relapse or if it was a one time event.Thanks.

frasercentral
Poster
Relationship: Other
City or Region: vancouver

Re: steroid induced psychosis for sibling of patient w/ schizophrenia

Unread postby frasercentral » 23 Oct 2017

Hi my name is Nancy Friesen I am an Educator at BC Schizophrenia Society, yes I have come across situations like this...however, there is not one answer fits all to your question.
There are times when a person may have a psychotic reaction to a medication and come out of the psychosis on their own, or it may be an indicator of something more serious and the person needs medication and gets well and it never happens again, or it is the start of a serious mental illness.
Regardless of the reason when a person is in psychosis it is serious and they do need to seek immediate help.
If you would like to speak with me to discuss this in more detail, I can be reached at 604-720-3935.

Mom
Regular Poster
Relationship: Parent
City or Region: Fraser Valley

Re: steroid induced psychosis for sibling of patient w/ schizophrenia

Unread postby Mom » 23 Oct 2017

Thank you for the reply.

Navigating this illness once was hard and yet it prepared us for this event.

I appreciate your response and may take you up on your offer to discuss this further in the coming weeks..depending on how things go.

Return to “Family and Friends of a Person with a Mental Illness (private)”