• Reaching Families Project

Online Support for People Who Care About Someone with a Mental Illness

Newbie Here as Well

Moderator: AndrewBCSS

Forum rules
Postings here are publicly visible and searchable with search engines. If you would like more privacy, you can post in the private forum instead. Please click here for more resources including in person support groups, newsletters and referral information.
Little Sister
Poster
Relationship: Sibling (brother, sister)
Region: Lower Mainland BC
City or Region: New Westminster

Newbie Here as Well

Unread postby Little Sister » 29 Jun 2016

This is my first time to post here as well. I am having a real struggle helping my brother( who is schizophrenic) since the loss of our mom in March. She was his sole support for many years and now it seems I am the only one in the family he can turn to for help and support. My brother does not have the social skills needed to make it on his own. He is very lonely. He calls me and my husband daily. We are running out of things to tell him. He does at least have his own place, but is struggling financially to keep it going. My mom also helped him out with funds. Most of my family does not want to get involved and have even moved in order to avoid him. It is really sad. I constantly worry and wonder where on earth I can turn to help him. Any ideas?

AndrewBCSS
Site Admin
Relationship: Other
Region: Lower Mainland BC
City or Region: Vancouver

Re: Newbie Here as Well

Unread postby AndrewBCSS » 30 Jun 2016

Hi Little Sister,
I'm going to suggest you contact the family support educators who work for the BC Schizophrenia Society. They will know what kinds of income and other supports are likely to be available to your brother. You want to contact the one that works in the town your brother lives in. http://www.bcss.org/category/branches/ or http://www.bcss.org/contact-us/2014/12/email-us/
You can also call HealthLinkBC at 811 to ask what kinds of supports and programs might be available for people with schizophrenia in the town where your brother lives.

Does anyone else have some experience to share?

Sincerely,
Sophia
A reason to hope. The means to cope.
www.bcss.org

Return to “Siblings of Persons with a Mental Illness Group (visible)”