• Reaching Families Project

Online Support for People Who Care About Someone with a Mental Illness

Independent Living with Schizophrenic sister

Moderator: AndrewBCSS

Forum rules
Postings here are publicly visible and searchable with search engines. If you would like more privacy, you can post in the private forum instead. Please click here for more resources including in person support groups, newsletters and referral information.
MissTodd
Poster
Relationship: Sibling (brother, sister)
Region: Central BC
City or Region: Kamloops

Independent Living with Schizophrenic sister

Unread postby MissTodd » 05 Oct 2012

HI all,

I am 24 years old living with my 20 year old paranoid schizophrenic sister. I work a lot and she spends most of her time at home watching movies. She volunteers about 3 days a week. I told my mum that it would be a better idea for her to live on her own because it's a normal thing for 20 year olds to live away from home. Plus we live 3 blocks away from our mum's house.

Sometimes I find it very hard to relax and be myself when I come home. She's not temperamental or anything, just really secretive and resistant to change. Does anybody want to share their experience in this regard? It would be appreciated

AndrewBCSS
Site Admin
Relationship: Other
Region: Lower Mainland BC
City or Region: Vancouver

Re: Independent Living with Schizophrenic sister

Unread postby AndrewBCSS » 05 Oct 2012

I have a good friend with a psychotic illness, and yup, secretive and resistant to change about covers it. Is she receiving treatment and taking her meds? For how long? My experience is that my friend gets back to 'her old self' (more resilient, social, easier time changing and talking) after about a year of being on her meds as prescribed, with manageable stress. It seems to take that long for her brain to sort itself out again.
Sophia
A reason to hope. The means to cope.
www.bcss.org

MissTodd
Poster
Relationship: Sibling (brother, sister)
Region: Central BC
City or Region: Kamloops

Re: Independent Living with Schizophrenic sister

Unread postby MissTodd » 05 Oct 2012

Yes, she has been living with the illness and takes her medication for almost two years.

Return to “Siblings of Persons with a Mental Illness Group (visible)”