• Reaching Families Project

Online Support for People Who Care About Someone with a Mental Illness

Can my brother be cure?

Moderator: AndrewBCSS

Forum rules
Postings here are publicly visible and searchable with search engines. If you would like more privacy, you can post in the private forum instead. Please click here for more resources including in person support groups, newsletters and referral information.
Angelap
Regular Poster
Relationship: Sibling (brother, sister)
Region: Lower Mainland BC
City or Region: New Westminster

Can my brother be cure?

Unread postby Angelap » 15 Nov 2011

Hi, my brother was diagnose with schizophrenia 8 years ago. He was a student in that time and then when he star with the symptoms he quit university never went back to university. Few years later my dad got really sick and my brother start getting worst more scared of everything. the idea of loosing dad was too hard on him. But he took good care of my dad even of many patients in the hospital He has huge heart and very good values. After my dad pass away he focus in my mom and our properties the idea of loosing the house and something happening to my mom was getting strong and strong nowadays he can't go out of the house alone he needs my mom or somebody with him to do normal shores like going to the store. He is a very intelligent person and has the heart bigger than the earth. How can I help him? He takes his medicine everyday. but I don't see any progress he still confine in the house. Please help me

AndrewBCSS
Site Admin
Relationship: Other
Region: Lower Mainland BC
City or Region: Vancouver

Re: Can my brother be cure?

Unread postby AndrewBCSS » 28 Nov 2011

Hi Angelap,

It sounds like your brother might need to see his doctor to have his medication or dose changed. With all of the large stresses he might need some extra help. It sounds like he is feeling very anxious too.

Schizophrenia is very hard on the brain, so he might be having some problems thinking clearly, even if he is not hearing voices or feeling paranoid anymore. If you brother is okay with it, you could go along with him to the doctor, and tell the doctor the things you're worried about. If your brother is there and says it's okay, the doctor will also be able to tell you about your brother's diagnosis and medication, and other things that might help you help him.

There are some good things to do to help his brain recover, like making sure he eats lots of Omega 3 fatty acids. The easiest way to get enough is to buy some Salmon Oil capsules and have him take 4 or 5 of them a day. You can take them too, they're very good for anyone. When someone has a brain problem like your brother's it's even more important to make sure you have enough, as the body uses Omega 3 fatty acids to help repair itself.

The BC Schizophrenia Society has a family support coordinator in your area (New Westminster) who can also help you figure out what to do. His name is David Dickinson and his phone number is 1-877-717-5518. When you call that number you will get an answering machine that will ask what area you are in. For New Westminster, you should choose Fraser North and then it will put you through to Dave.

Sincerely,
Sophia
A reason to hope. The means to cope.
www.bcss.org

Return to “Siblings of Persons with a Mental Illness Group (visible)”