• Reaching Families Project

Online Support for People Who Care About Someone with a Mental Illness

Legal question regarding inheritance

Moderator: AndrewBCSS

Forum rules
Postings here are publicly visible and searchable with search engines. If you would like more privacy, you can post in the private forum instead. Please click here for more resources including in person support groups, newsletters and referral information.
Andrew
Poster
Relationship: Sibling (brother, sister)
Region: Lower Mainland BC
City or Region: Vancouver

Legal question regarding inheritance

Unread postby Andrew » 26 Jan 2017

My sister is a 45 year old schizophrenic who goes off and on her meds regularly. Since diagnosed (over 15 yrs ago) she has not managed her finances well. Before my dad passed away he set a trust up for her that I manage. Recently my mom passed away - her estate will leave my sister an apartment to live in and a small amount of $. She is very fortunate and I want to secure these recent additional assets. Is there anyway to prevent her from selling this apartment without obtaining POA? She presents well so this would be difficult. I am the executor of my mom's estate.

AndrewBCSS
Site Admin
Relationship: Other
City or Region: Vancouver

Re: Legal question regarding inheritance

Unread postby AndrewBCSS » 30 Jan 2017

Hi Andrew,
I replied to your other post about this, so I suggest having a look there too. If you need legal advice but the estate can't afford a lawyer, I suggest the UBC legal clinic: http://www.lslap.bc.ca/ which provides free legal advice to people who can't afford it.

Sincerely,
Sophia
A reason to hope. The means to cope.
www.bcss.org

Jean
Regular Poster
Relationship: Friend

Re: Legal question regarding inheritance

Unread postby Jean » 16 Aug 2017

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your question. I just wanted to let you know that BCSS will be hosting a Wills and Trust Seminar this October in Surrey. It's free of charge and you will be able to ask the lawyers on-site any questions you might have about how to proceed. If you are interested in attending, please email philanthropy@bcss.org or call 604-270-7841 and ask to speak to Cynthia.

Best regards,
Jean.

Return to “Family and Friends of Persons with a Mental Illness (searchable)”