• Reaching Families Project

Online Support for People Who Care About Someone with a Mental Illness

First Nations/Metis and Inuit Family Members

Moderator: AndrewBCSS

Forum rules
Postings here are publicly visible and searchable with search engines. If you would like more privacy, you can post in the private forum instead. Please click here for more resources including in person support groups, newsletters and referral information.
NativeMom
Poster
Relationship: Parent
Region: Vancouver Island, BC
City or Region: Victoria

First Nations/Metis and Inuit Family Members

Unread postby NativeMom » 13 May 2016

My son and daughter are in "recovery" from early psychosis. I have attended the Strengthening Families workshops where I met other families with similar interests and experience in mental illness. We learned a tremendous amount about resources and how to best support our loved ones. The BCSS is doing tremendously important work that has supported our family so we feel normal and full of hope.

The BCSS has some new resources for Aboriginal peoples. Here's some links:
http://www.bcss.org/category/resources/ ... boriginal/

I would like to reach out to others who are struggling or may just need somebody to talk to. My culture and community are important to me and I like to develop relationships with people in respectful and positive ways. I look forward to connecting with other family members with loved ones who have been affected by mental illness.

Welalin, Huch'qa
All MY Relations,
NativeMom

I respectfully aknowledge the traditional territories of the Sonhgees and Esquimalt Nations.

AndrewBCSS
Site Admin
Relationship: Other
Region: Lower Mainland BC
City or Region: Vancouver

Re: First Nations/Metis and Inuit Family Members

Unread postby AndrewBCSS » 19 May 2016

Hi NativeMom,
I've passed the link to this post on to other BCSS staff members and also promoted it in an email sent out to our aboriginal family resources enewsletter. I hope this helps you connect. :-)

Sincerely,
Sophia
A reason to hope. The means to cope.
www.bcss.org

AndrewBCSS
Site Admin
Relationship: Other
Region: Lower Mainland BC
City or Region: Vancouver

Mental Wellness Help Line for Indigenous Peoples

Unread postby AndrewBCSS » 21 Oct 2016

Hi Everyone,
I thought this would be a good place to post a new indigenous peoples resource I got a notice about today.
Sincerely,
Sophia

The First Nations and Inuit Hope for Wellness Help Line provides culturally competent support 24/7

October 17th 2016, the Minister of Health announced the launch of the national toll-free First Nations and Inuit Hope for Wellness Help Line. The Help Line, which started operation on October 1, provides immediate, culturally competent, telephone crisis intervention counselling support for First Nations and Inuit, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Counsellors can also work with callers to identify follow-up services they can access. Counselling is available in English and French and, upon request, in Cree, Ojibway, and Inuktut.

Health Canada will continue to work with Indigenous leaders to develop a long-term plan to address mental health issues being faced by Indigenous peoples.

Quick Facts

The new toll-free number for the First Nations and Inuit Hope for Wellness Help Line is 1-855-242-3310.
Indigenous people are at a greater risk of experiencing mental health issues. Suicide is a significant concern in some communities, particularly in the North and in remote areas.

More information: http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?mth ... id=1137119
A reason to hope. The means to cope.
www.bcss.org

Return to “Family and Friends of Persons with a Mental Illness (searchable)”