• Reaching Families Project

Online Support for People Who Care About Someone with a Mental Illness

i need support in helping my girlfriend with her mental ill

This forum is specifically for LGTBQ community members supporting a partner or friend who has a mental illness and is facilitated by a community member.

Moderator: AndrewBCSS

Forum rules
Postings here are publicly visible and searchable with search engines. If you would like more privacy, you can post in the private forum instead. Please click here for more resources including in person support groups, newsletters and referral information.
Nicole74
Regular Poster
Relationship: Spouse (wife, husband, common-law, partner)
Region: Other provinces in Canada
City or Region: United States PA

i need support in helping my girlfriend with her mental ill

Unread postby Nicole74 » 05 Jan 2011

please help in anyway you can she was diagnosed with psychosis and was in hospital for 2 weeks and since she has been home she has yet to get better and is on 6 different meds. we go to counciling and see psych on the 7th to adjust her meds im just overwhelmed and worried about doin the right thing

AndrewBCSS
Site Admin
Relationship: Other
Region: Lower Mainland BC
City or Region: Vancouver

Re: i need support in helping my girlfriend with her mental

Unread postby AndrewBCSS » 08 Jan 2011

Hi there,
Okay, the first things to know are:

1) It takes time for doctors to get the diagnosis and medications sorted out and confirmed. They may try out several before it gets finalized.

2) It takes a long time for her brain to heal, even once she's on the right meds, so even when she stops having voices or paranoia, she'll likely have trouble thinking clearly and getting motivated. This is normal.

Here's some resources on psychosis and how to help:
http://www.bcss.org/category/resources/psychosis/

I suggest starting with this one:
How to Help Recovery from Psychosis – What Family and Friends Need to Know

I'm glad you're here. Full recovery from psychosis is entirely possible with appropriate treatment. There is hope.

Sincerely,
Sophia
A reason to hope. The means to cope.
www.bcss.org

AndrewBCSS
Site Admin
Relationship: Other
Region: Lower Mainland BC
City or Region: Vancouver

Unread postby AndrewBCSS » 08 Jan 2011

One more thing, I've moved this topic to the public family support forum, where it will get more attention from family members.
A reason to hope. The means to cope.
www.bcss.org

Cyne
Regular Poster
Relationship: Spouse (wife, husband, common-law, partner)
Region: Other BC

Unread postby Cyne » 04 Feb 2011

Hi Nicole, Just saw your post from back in January....hope things r improving for you and your girlfriend! This site saved my sanity a Year ago when I was looking for support.the moderator Sophia is cool. I was pulled so far off my own centre of balance, you know, like a dancer or an athlete has to keep centred so they can move fluidly in response to outside stuff, or a new move? Try to take an hour to yourself a few times a week and talk to another friend about your own dreams and goals....psychosis can appear to gobble up lives and all the love we feed it. Patience, gentleness, and support are so important!

It will actuall help your girlfriend if you can identify some things that are important to you that you r gonna keep in yer life no matter what...like running, reading, meditating, anything that gets you into your own energy...because that. Is where your strength is. I have done this for a lotta years, and what let's me continue to see the woman I love is my ability to stay in touch with me. That way, with a clear idea of who I feel myself to be, I have some resistance to being pulled into the distorted reality with her.

It is possible to create a personal discipline that some call spiritual, to manage cognitive and perceptual distortions with a lower dose or no dose...but it takes time. Sophia is right...recovery is possible. It takes time and support from many sources. Find out who you can count on to talk to...this stuff scares most people silly because of bad media reporting. Good luck to you! And love..',-)

A last thing I would suggest is find out as much information as you can on her diagnosis, medication side effects as well as what they are prescribed for, and just get as knowledgeable as you can.I have always found that doctors and other mental health people really want to help...sometimes they feel as lost as us b/c something that should work doesn't.

jellderen
Poster
Relationship: Parent
Region: Other provinces in Canada
City or Region: Baltimore

Unread postby jellderen » 09 May 2011

Just keep an open communication with her and listening is the big help that you can do. Give her every opportunity to unburden his troubles and ventilate his feelings. You don't need to say much and there are no magic words. If you are concerned, your voice and manner will show it. Give him relief from being alone with his pain; let him know you are glad he turned to you. Patience, sympathy, acceptance. Avoid arguments and advice giving.

Return to “LQTBQ Partners of Persons with a Mental Illness (visible)”