• Reaching Families Project

Online Support for People Who Care About Someone with a Mental Illness

Article from visions about LGBT families of choice

This forum is specifically for LGTBQ community members supporting a partner or friend who has a mental illness and is facilitated by a community member.

Moderator: AndrewBCSS

Forum rules
Postings here are publicly visible and searchable with search engines. If you would like more privacy, you can post in the private forum instead. Please click here for more resources including in person support groups, newsletters and referral information.
AndrewBCSS
Site Admin
Relationship: Other
Region: Lower Mainland BC
City or Region: Vancouver

Article from visions about LGBT families of choice

Unread postby AndrewBCSS » 29 Mar 2017

Family are the first to notice. My first contact with the mental health system occurred one evening when a friend of my wife’s and mine—we’ll call her Linda—came over for dinner. Linda seemed a bit off. Anxious and awkward, she told us that people at her workplace were invading her mind to control and manipulate her and others using some kind of psychic broadcast.

Linda was reluctant to even make eye contact with us, for fear those conspiring against her would identify and attack us too. I have a fairly open mind, but all this seemed highly unlikely.

A few days later Linda and I went for a walk. During our walk it became very clear to me that she needed medical attention. I calmly told Linda that we were going to head to the hospital. Luckily, she didn’t object.
[read more]
A reason to hope. The means to cope.
www.bcss.org

Return to “LQTBQ Partners of Persons with a Mental Illness (visible)”