• Reaching Families Project

Online Support for People Who Care About Someone with a Mental Illness

back again

You will need to register and log in to see posts here.

Moderator: AndrewBCSS

Forum rules
By participating / reading the items in this forum, you agree to keep what is written here private, and to treat other group members with respect. Unlike the 'visible' forums, what you post in this private forum is only visible to other group members when they are logged in, and is not visible to search engines on the internet. For more resources including in person support groups, newsletters and referral information, please scroll to page bottom or click here
Josephine
Regular Poster
Relationship: Other Relative
Region: Kootenays BC

back again

Unread postby Josephine » 15 Mar 2017

My son is 800 km from me and my husband. He verbally threatened me and him many times. what can I do. He needs my support but just want to let go for ever.

AndrewBCSS
Site Admin
Relationship: Other
Region: Lower Mainland BC
City or Region: Vancouver

Re: back again

Unread postby AndrewBCSS » 15 Mar 2017

Hi Josephine,
This sounds like a very hard thing. I'm sorry. Does your son have a diagnosis? Has he received medical treatment? Is he currently receiving treatment? What kinds of supports are you looking for for him?

I suggest contacting the BC Schizophrenia Society family educator in the town where your son lives (if he lives in BC). It's okay if your son has an illness other than schizophrenia, they will still help you. The simplest way to get in touch would be to visit this page and select your son's location from the list:http://www.bcss.org/contact-us/2014/12/email-us/ or you can use the navigation tool here and give them your email address and ask to be followed up. Again, select the region where your son lives from the list so you get the right person. http://www.bcss.org/help-to-find-help/ This tool will also give you some other helpful information.

If your son is threatening you and you need to contact the police, here is some information on that: http://www.bcss.org/resources/topics-by ... -a-crisis/

Sincerely,
Sophia
A reason to hope. The means to cope.
www.bcss.org

Josephine
Regular Poster

Unread postby Josephine » 16 Mar 2017

Hi, It was ten months ago I was discussing this with you and the schizophrenia people. Almost got my son set up for a brain scan in Surrey but once again he fell through the cracks. He has never been diagnosed but obviously he is. When I told the lady at the schizophrenia about him, she said that is schizophrenia. after that he got a pretty decent job, but things are falling apart again. I live in the southern interior and he lives in Surrey. About his job, I am just reading between the lines. I wish someone would go and visit him and give him some treatment as he will never go on his own. He did go a see a doctor last spring but there was no follow up with the doctor so my son does not think he is not mentally ill.

AndrewBCSS
Site Admin
Relationship: Other
Region: Lower Mainland BC
City or Region: Vancouver

Unread postby AndrewBCSS » 16 Mar 2017

Hi Josephine,
Getting treatment for someone whose illness prevents them knowing that they have schizophrenia can be tricky. Generally what we do is call the psychiatric intake line and explain the situation. If your son is able to take care of himself and is not harming anyone including himself he can't be treated without his cooperation. This doesn't have to be physical harm, it can be social harms including family harm or being at risk to lose a job. There is a book called "I'm not sick! I don't need help!" that you can read which has some tips on how to convince your son to get treatment.

If he is unable to care for himself or if he is in danger of harming himself or others then he can be brought to the hospital by police or he can be admitted at a hospital. There is more information on the legal issues and how to do this on the BC schizophrenia Society website. Look for a video with Gerrit Clements in the education section. http://Www.bcss.org

Schizophrenia is not diagnosed with a brain scan. Sometimes people have fMRI scans done to rule out other brain problems. There are a lot of things that look like schizophrenia and a doctor needs to figure out what he has. If he has schizophrenia, he will need medication to get well, and the sooner the better for his brain.

I suggest getting in touch with the people I recommended above and speaking with them on the phone to sort out what to do.

Sincerely,
Sophia
A reason to hope. The means to cope.
www.bcss.org

Josephine
Regular Poster

Unread postby Josephine » 21 Mar 2017

thank you so much, I will check out the suggestions.

Return to “Family and Friends of a Person with a Mental Illness (private)”