• Reaching Families Project

Online Support for People Who Care About Someone with a Mental Illness

What would be the most useful thing to help your family?

You will need to register and log in to see posts here.

Moderator: AndrewBCSS

Forum rules
By participating / reading the items in this forum, you agree to keep what is written here private, and to treat other group members with respect. Unlike the 'visible' forums, what you post in this private forum is only visible to other group members when they are logged in, and is not visible to search engines on the internet. For more resources including in person support groups, newsletters and referral information, please scroll to page bottom or click here
AndrewBCSS
Site Admin
Relationship: Other
Region: Lower Mainland BC
City or Region: Vancouver

What would be the most useful thing to help your family?

Unread postby AndrewBCSS » 06 Oct 2016

I think when caring for a loved one with a serious illness we all have ideas about what would be ideal. Supported housing, home visits, help convincing a loved one to accept help. For me, what was very helpful was an employment program to help my loved one get and maintain employment. The program helped her get ready, found employers looking to hire someone with her skills, and negotiated with the employer on her behalf about what kinds of accommodations she'd need. Then if she had difficulties once she started working, she could go to them to help her communicate and advocate in her workplace.

What kinds of things have you found helpful, or would you find helpful?

Sophia
A reason to hope. The means to cope.
www.bcss.org

Mom
Regular Poster
Relationship: Parent
City or Region: Fraser Valley

Re: What would be the most useful thing to help your family?

Unread postby Mom » 19 Jan 2017

Great question Sophia.

I can tell you what we found most helpful - the EPI team (Early Psychosis Intervention) Their weekly educational evenings were a source of SUPPORT and INFORMATION. I couldn't understand why more people didn't attend, I think most evenings it was just my husband and I, and on occasion someone else would show up, but then we would never see them again. So, I don't know if it's the lack of time that people have, or perhaps the inability to get away from their loved ones. In retrospect, we were only able to attend when our son was hospitalized. Maybe these sessions could be put out as a webinar ? So that family members can watch the session live from their home, they could be given a login and could post questions. We benefited immensely from attending, and wouldn't have gotten through the ordeal if it weren't for the caring individuals that put on the sessions. I would encourage others to seek out this resource. My understanding is that it's still available, we used it 5 years ago.

My two cents.

Mom
Regular Poster

Unread postby Mom » 19 Jan 2017

I almost forgot.... I find this forum very helpful too. You are an encyclopedia of information and you care so much about all of us. It's a very big job to be the one to read through all of our postings and our situations, so, I'm sure like everyone else I commend you and most definitely appreciate your time and responses. Thank you. Having a forum that is Canadian and your ability to answer questions from across the country (and I've noticed sometimes other countries) is such a blessing for everyone that posts here.

AndrewBCSS
Site Admin
Relationship: Other

Unread postby AndrewBCSS » 23 Jan 2017

Awww. That's so sweet. Thank you.
A reason to hope. The means to cope.
www.bcss.org

Joleen
Poster

Unread postby Joleen » 25 Oct 2017

Supportive housing with a private washroom and kitchen area. Help once a week with housekeeping.
A safe place. Regular visits with a psychiatrist. Having to do some kind of regular work - even if it was sweeping common areas. Nutrition help.

tybe1
Poster

Unread postby tybe1 » 16 Feb 2018

Joleen's October 2017 post says it all. These are desperately needed and seem like common and practical requests yet are next to impossible to find.
My stepson is about to be homeless as the basement suite he has lived in for years will be demolished. There is NOWHERE for him to go. Nothing available. With a rental vacancy rate below 1%, who would rent to a mental health disability pension man with no good references because he cannot keep his home clean and maintained without help? That being said - who can possibly afford to live on a pension less than $1,000 / month with common rents over $1,000 / month.
I don't even know where to end the list of "most useful things to help", but right now - today - Joleen's post would be the perfect world.

katebrown770
Poster
Relationship: Spouse (wife, husband, common-law, partner)
Region: Other provinces in Canada
City or Region: Saskatchewan

Unread postby katebrown770 » 15 Apr 2018

Hello, I am new here! My husband was admitted to the psychiatric ward last week. It has been sad but I am feeling very grateful that he is there and finally (I think! I Hope!) Getting the help he has so badly needed for a long time. Our home is an hour away though, and I am unemployed. He was the one working. So, what my family most needs now is financial support. I am coming to accept that I need to be the breadwinner again and that is Ok, I'm actually a bit excited to go back to work. But I need help moving and starting over. I want to be in the city not only for him to access help, but for me to not feel so isolated (our town is less than 500 ppl). He is being referred to a social worker there who, the psychiatrist and nurse told us, should be able to help him access financial support for him and our family ( we have a 6 year old daugter). We live in Saskatchewan though and they seem to announce more cuts to social spending everyday. . . But I am still hopeful, while reaching out to family and friends and seeking employment for myself.

Return to “Family and Friends of a Person with a Mental Illness (private)”